The Hillsboro Lighthouse as it appeared in 1906 in the work-yard of the Russel Wheel Foundry in Detroit, Michigan before it was dismantled and shipped to Florida. The employees of the Russel Wheel Foundry were no strangers to lighthouse construction. Over the years, they fabricated the steel for other lighthouses, such as the Sabine Bank Lighthouse in Texas, the Waackaack Lighthouse in New Jersey, and the Manitou Island Lighthouse, Detroit River Lighthouse, Cheboygan Crib Lighthouse, and Rock of Ages Lighthouse, all in Michigan. The company eventually changed its name to Russel Steel Construction Co.
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2017